Monday, January 7, 2013

Checking In....


Checking In

I started off the year making a list of goals that I wanted to accomplish with my writing. My main goal was to make something happen. After the past year, I know that things don’t just happen out of the blue for anyone. You have to actively work at it and that’s what I’m doing – actively working to make my dreams come true. It’s different now because I now know what doesn’t work. I’m ready to try other things that might possibly work.

So far, in the first 7 days of 2013 I’ve done enough to feel accomplished....

1. I got an invite to the Kentucky Independent Writers group meeting in Lexington on the 19th. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be able to make it. I’m excited about the prospects of going to this meeting.

2. I started a self-publishing class yesterday.  I’m hoping to learn a lot about the industry as a whole because I have a lot of questions about how to really go about doing this. And most importantly, doing it right the first time.

3. I’ve kept my resolution of writing 500 words a day so far!

I found some interesting articles that gave step-by-step instructions on how to self-edit and do a few other things for myself that traditionally others would do. Therefore, I’m going back and doing what I realize I should have done before. I’m going to learn the craft and what all I need to do in order to become successful.

I’ve had some missteps along the way and I’m learning as I go. It’s frustrating at times and I feel like I go around in circles sometimes, but there are moments when I do take large steps forward. I feel like I’m there at this point. I’m taking a large step forward and a huge leap of faith.

Nobody ever accomplished anything by staying complacent; dreams have always been achieved by doing.  That’s the phase I’m in right now…the doing phase. Everything else will fall into place. I just have to keep my head up and keep moving forward.

I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am for this year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment